Vermont in winter is truly magical, especially when you spend it in the picturesque village of Woodstock, VT. With winter scenery that looks like something seen on a postcard, Vermont’s winter wonderland is something we think everyone should experience at least once. Whether you love snow-based sports like downhill skiing or snowboarding, cross-country skiing, or snowshoeing, or whether your idea of a winter getaway involves more time curled up in front of a fire with a good book, we’d love nothing more than to help you enjoy the best of Vermont in winter this year.
There are so many great things to do in Vermont in winter, and our upscale Woodstock, VT hotel is the perfect home base for all of it. The Jackson House Inn is located near two popular Vermont ski areas, our super local mountain, Saskadena Six, and the bigger Killington Resort – but that’s just the beginning of all the great things waiting for you in this uniquely beautiful winter paradise.
It’s hard to go wrong when visiting Vermont in winter, but it’s even better when you add a stay at the charming, luxurious Jackson House Inn, Woodstock VT’s top-rated boutique hotel. Our Woodstock, VT hotel is nestled just outside of downtown Woodstock, surrounded by the breathtaking beauty of this quaint, storybook village.
Woodstock, VT is exceptionally fun to visit year-round, but in the winter, it offers a magical winter wonderland like no other. Book a room at our Boutique Hotel in Woodstock, VT today!
The Best Place to Stay This Winter in Vermont
Whether you’re looking for a great place to get outside and enjoy the best of Vermont in winter or would prefer a quiet and luxurious place to get cozy with your loved one, you’ll quickly find we offer sophisticated and unmatched luxury in one of Vermont’s most charming destinations. We provide a range of elegant guest rooms and have a well-earned reputation for excellence in every aspect of your stay.
With only eleven guest rooms at the Inn, and a variety of cozy spaces to enjoy inside and out, there will be plenty of moments when it’ll feel like you have this elegant retreat to yourselves. Unlike other traditional Vermont Bed and Breakfasts and boutique hotels, food is anything but an afterthought here at the Jackson House Inn. Rather, it’s an experience integral to the Jackson House experience.
We have two classically-trained chefs on staff here at our Woodstock, VT hotel who are thrilled to lead you on a culinary adventure each morning. Our breakfast features local, organic produce that is seasonally appropriate whenever possible. One taste of our delicious and artfully-prepared creations, and you’ll understand why breakfast is a frequent favorite time of day among our guests. Beyond breakfast, we’re also happy to offer charcuterie plates to enjoy around the property and a delicious selection of wine, beer, and spirits in our Tavern.
Outside, there are three acres of gardens and scenery to enjoy, which are just as magical during the winter as they are at the peak of summer. This includes our outdoor fire pit, where we offer Adirondack chairs and cozy blankets so you can thoroughly enjoy the experience of Vermont in winter – perhaps with a warm drink from the Tavern in hand.
The Best Things to do in Woodstock, VT This Winter
When it comes to unforgettable destinations, few things beat Vermont in winter – particularly when you center your vacation around a town with as many charms as Woodstock. In summer, the hills surrounding Woodstock, VT offer exceptional hiking, and in the fall, they are alight with the vibrant colors of autumn. Vermont in winter, though, is a season unto itself. The mountains transform into busy ski hills, hiking trails become cross-country skiing or snowshoeing paradises, and there are several fun things to do everywhere you turn.
Vermont in winter isn’t all about skiing, though – especially when you’re in Woodstock. There’s a wonderful variety of things to do in Woodstock, VT during the winter. If you haven’t yet experienced this picture-perfect village in the winter, this is the year to make it happen. Whether you’re looking for one snowy adventure after the next or want to marvel at the gorgeous scenery of Vermont in winter, we have no doubt you’ll love it here.
Below, we’ve listed ten of our favorite things to do in Vermont in winter.
- Skiing is one of the most popular things to do in Woodstock, Vermont in winter, and there are two nearby places to enjoy this fast-paced winter sport. Our closest local mountain is Saskadena Six, and a little further afield, you’ll find great skiing at Killington Ski Resort and Okemo Ski Resort.
- Head to the Woodstock Nordic Center for a delightful afternoon of cross-country skiing – a time-honored tradition across Vermont in winter. You can also enjoy snowshoeing here or take to one of Woodstock’s many hiking trails and enjoy a beautiful, solitude-filled adventure you won’t forget. The nearby Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historic Park is a great choice!
- Is there a more quintessential winter activity to enjoy in Vermont than an old-fashioned sleigh ride? Head to Kedron Valley Stables, and let them take you through some of the most beautiful winter scenery around.
- Vermont covered bridges are always beautiful but add a layer of snow to them, and you have a gorgeous scene worthy of a photograph. There are a number of them in the area, including Blow Me Down Covered Bridge, Dingleton Hill Bridge, Downers Covered Bridge, Lincoln Covered Bridge, Martins Mill Covered Bridge, Middle Covered Bridge, Quechee Bridge, Taftsville Covered Bridge, Willard Covered Bridge, Windsor-Cornish Covered Bridge.
- Shopping is always one of our favorite things to do in Woodstock, VT, and that’s no different than in the winter. The charming, independent stores and local makers also provide a wonderful respite from the cold outside.
- When you’re looking for a way to stay out of the cold, wintry weather outside, turn to the vibrant, artistic destinations of Woodstock, VT. There are several excellent art galleries and museums worth visiting in the area.
- Visit some of the best Vermont breweries in the area, such as the popular Long Trail Brewing. Don’t forget we also have a superb selection of wine, beer, and spirits available in the Tavern at the Jackson House Inn!
- One of many popular things to do in Woodstock during the summer and fall is mountain biking – a sport growing in popularity all over the country. You don’t have to pack away the bikes during the winter, either. Head outside for fat tire biking on popular local trails like the Aqueduct Trails on Mt. Peg.
- For an old-fashioned taste of Vermont in winter, head to the indoor rink at Union Arena and enjoy some ice skating. Once we’re deep in the throes of winter cold, you can also test your skills on the outdoor rinks at Vail Field rink in Woodstock Village.
- Finally, there’s nothing better than treating yourself to a wintry indulgence at the local Woodstock Inn & Resort’s Spa. It’s just down the street from our hotel and offers a delightful taste of luxury on a cold winter day.
When you’re cold, tired, and done for the day, add one more thing to your list of “must-do’s in Vermont this winter: relax in style at our Four Diamond Woodstock, VT Hotel. Book your room today!